Connect with us
Advertisement

People

A 20-year-old student died in his sleep – doctors said he made a fatal mistake while eating pasta

It was in 2008 that the Journal of Clinical Microbiology first reported this tragic case – in which a young man died hours after
eating dinner.

Advertisement

Now, a little over 13 years later, the unfortunate incident has once again made headlines as ‘Dr. Bernard’ examined the case closely on
his YouTube channel.

The video got millions of views, with several major media outlets trying to spread the information so that a similar thing would not happen again in the future..

It all started in 2008 when a 20-year-old student from Belgium returned home from university and heated a bowl of pasta and tomato sauce in the microwave. Until the moment of heating, the food was placed on the counter for five
days at room temperature.

Advertisement

After eating the pasta, the student, known as ‘AJ’ in the 2008 report, went out to engage in sports activities.

Less than an hour later, AJ ran to his home, as noted in the report.

Like so many other people, AJ believed he would go to bed and wake up feeling better the next day. He went to bed at around midnight.. but never woke up.

Advertisement

When AJ did not wake up in the morning, his parents got worried. They entered his room and found their son dead.

The report states that the cause of death was food poisoning caused by Bacillus cereus – a bacterium that produces a toxin that causes vomiting and diarrhea.

Liver damage

An autopsy and food test showed the bacterium was so toxic it caused AJ’s liver to collapse.

Dr. Bernard warns about eating leftover food.

Advertisement

“A lot of people eat pasta, or any other type of noodle, that stays for a day or two and they’re fine”, he said.

Food heating is not the problem. The problem lies in the time between the moment you cooked the food and the moment you chose to eat it again.

The most important thing is to pay attention to details when it comes to hygiene, and not let the food stay at room temperature too long.

Advertisement

Help us spread this warning!

One never knows, it may save lives.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Trending

X