An Indian repairman’s attempt to fix a customer’s phone seriously backfired after the device’s battery burst into flames, the good news is that no life was lost even though it nearly killing the client and the shopkeeper.
“‘A mobile phone exploded like a bomb during repairs,” reads the caption to the clip of the incendiary incident, which occurred Oct. 22 in Pali, Uttar Pradesh, the India Herald reported.
PAY ATTENTION: Please help us grow! Follow us on Facebook ➡️ Click here! Don't worry we will tip you 😉💵
A youth had gone to a mobile repair shop near a bus station because he couldn’t get his phone to charge. However, when shopkeeper Mahesh Chaurasia tried to inspect the accessory, it combusted like an improvised explosive device.
उत्तर प्रदेश के ललितपुर में रिपेयरिंग के दौरान एक मोबाइल बम की तरह फट पड़ा pic.twitter.com/eBUCe9f4nL
— Bhadohi Wallah (@Mithileshdhar) October 23, 2022
In the inflammatory clip, Chaurasian can be seen trying to take the battery out to inspect it while the owner looks on from in front of the glass counter. All of a sudden, a fireball erupts from the phone like a mobile Molotov cocktail, causing both the customer and repairman to jump back.
Thankfully, both Chaurasia and the customer survived the phone inferno, which is being probed by local police, according to APN Live.
It’s unclear what sparked the blaze. However, smartphone batteries can explode for a number of reasons ranging from overheating to physical damage and degradation over time, PC Mag reported.
“Modern mobile devices are powered by lithium-ion batteries, which contain a careful balance of positive and negative electrodes to allow for recharging,” they write. “When something goes wrong, the inner components of the battery can break down and create a volatile reaction that can lead to fires.”
In a deadly incident in 2018, Cradle Fund CEO Nazrin Hassan perished after one of his two smartphones exploded while charging in his Malaysia bedroom.